Autumn Roasted Squash Soup
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1-butternut squash, about 2 #’s, cut into ½ inch slices and seeded. (Reserve seeds for toasting)
- 1 medium onion cut in half
- 1 small head of garlic or 2-3 large cloves
- 1 medium apple, (tart is good) cut in half and cored
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ cup Half & Half
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly rub the surface of the Squash, onion, garlic and apple with the olive oil and place onto the sheet pan and into the oven. Bake all ingredients until tender, for 25-40+ minutes until fork tender. Remove from the oven. Remove the skin from the squash, the onion and the garlic. Place all the roasted items into a soup pot with the chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring this up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes and then puree with an emersion mixer, food processor or blender. Stir in the ½ and ½ and serve. Garnish with toasted squash seeds, and a sprinkle of fresh herbs!
- ***To toast the reserved seeds, rinse and dry with a towel. Place into a dish and toss with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Place the seeds into a cooking dish or pan and toast in a 325 degree oven for 10-15 minutes stirring every 3 to 4 minutes to prevent sticking. Seeds are done when browned evenly and crisp! Delicious.